Friday, August 6, 2010

An Endearing, Funny, blog from our massage therapist!


A few professions in the world really lend themselves to being taken advantage of, (not necessarily in a bad way) by friends and family once they leave the work environment. Chefs are almost certainly put in charge of the summer BBQ; Accountants are undoubtedly harassed during tax season, and massage therapists’ daughters will not go to bed unless Daddy has given them a massage.

Every night there is a routine. First comes the bath, (“Keep the water IN the tub please.”). Bath time is followed by helping them brush their teeth, (“Stop eating the toothpaste!”). The Pajamas are put on and stories are lovingly read. If it is wintertime, the hair dryer is brought out to blow heat in their bed so they stay toasty and warm. To most children this would be more than enough. If your dad is a massage therapist, it is just the warm up to the main event.

Massage to my daughters is more than just a quick back rub. They have learned to request specific areas that are bothering them and are more than willing to tell me if I am not doing deep enough work. Massage commentary like, “No Daddy, I need a massage like you do at work”, and, “Daddy, You forgot my legs and arms” is not uncommon.

My oldest daughter has understood for quite some time that massage is my job. My four-year-old daughter had not quite figured this out though. Therefore, when LeFore’s Spa placed a video of me demonstrating a new service on their Facebook page, it confused her. I was at work and my wife was showing my kids the video of me giving a massage to a fellow employee.

“Is that you Mommy?” my youngest asked.

“No.”

There was a pause well my daughter tried to process this information.

“Why’s Daddy helping someone else?”

To my daughter, who has grown up getting massages nightly and was my infant massage therapy model, the concept that I worked on other people was a new one. But, even through her naivety, she brings up a valid question. Why do I help someone else? Why do I do what I do?

Mostly I do what I do because I love it. I love helping people feel better and increase the quality of their life. Doing what I do, gives a grandparent the ability to get down on the floor and play with their grandchild. It gives a mother the break she needs to regain her sanity from keeping up with her kids day after day. It helps the farmer get back to work after straining his muscles from tossing hay bales for hours on end. At work, I help because people need it, more than many of them even know they do. I help others feel better so they can go home and spend quality time with their children, who sometimes ask questions that make us smile, nod, and then try our best to answer with a straight face.

2 comments:

  1. =D awesome =D

    cant wait until my hub makes his appt for his massage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacob,
    Thanks for sharing. This was meaningful to me that you so clearly expressed my life passion for helping people improve their quality of life through massage.

    ReplyDelete