Monday, September 19, 2011

Problems with your rotator cuff?



One of the most frequent problems I come across in my massage clients is shoulder pain. Most of our jobs require a lot from our shoulders, whether it is from constant forward rotation at a desk job or the bracing and twisting of patient care as a therapist or nurse.
A few months ago I had the pleasure of attending a continuing education course on releasing the muscles of the shoulder girdle. I have since been able to use the techniques learned their on several of my clients to very favorable results. It’s amazing how just a few simple changes from what I learned at school changed the way I saw the shoulder, how it works, and the referral points that enabled me to give my clients the relief that I’d wanted to give my clients but couldn’t until now.
Most people with rotator cuff issues feel pain over the deltoid muscle on the top outer side of the shoulder, especially when it is raised. Motions like those involved in getting dressed and reaching up to get items from the cupboard can be painful and make the shoulder feel weak. When I came across these issues before I would work the area of pain and perhaps some of the surrounding areas to try and give my client relief. If I came across resistance I would try to push through it, calling it “Deep Tissue”. The techniques I learned at this course helped me be able to take what I knew and make them work much more efficiently.
When dealing with tense and painful muscles you have to remember to “knock first”. If you wanted to go to someone’s house you wouldn’t barge in and demand that they relax and expect positive results. The same goes for muscle work. The issue then is trying to find the correct “door” (muscle) to knock on. Thanks to this course, I am able to do that much more consistently.
If you have been experiencing shoulder pain or reduced range of motion in your shoulder, please come in. I would love to be able to help you get back your shoulder to what it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment